Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Miss independant

Yesterday was Maggie's first day of pre-school. She was SOOOO excited. All morning she kept asking if it was time to go to school yet. When we get to the school, even before I get her out of the car seat she say's "ok, see ya!" and is ready to get in the building. I tell her I'm going to walk her in. We get to the front doors of the school and she's running to push the button that opens the doors, she doesn't even look over her shoulder, she just yells OK, SEE YA! I'm laughing cause she is so eager to get into class. We get to her room, and the teacher asks Maggie to find her locker to put her backpack in. She does, and again she says OK Mom, see ya! I walk into her classroom and there are at least 6 kids crying and clinging to thier parents...NOT Maggie! I tell Maggie that maybe if she goes up to the little girl in the purple dress and asks her to be her friend that maybe she won't be so sad.. Maggie says "sure" and she starts to ask her if she want's to be friends, the little girl latches on to her mother's leg- I swear the kid is part cat, she was damn near crawling up the mother's leg-and lets out this ear piercing scream; Maggie looks at her and looks at me like "forget get this chick- she's crazy" and turns around and runs to the bookshelf. Finds a book and brings it back to the rug some of the other kids were sitting on and starts flipping pages... Didn't want a kiss or a hug..She looks up and says in a voice that sounds a little ticked off...OK MOM, you can go now! I just laugh and turn around. As I'm walking to the car my eyes are tearing up...My baby is not such a baby anymore! She's a little girl..

Today she got to walk home with her brothers! That was fun for her...Not so much for her 10yr old brother. He had to hold her hand the whole way. He's glad that his friends weren't walking the same way. Maggie tells me that she has papers for me, but none that I have to sign. I giggle, she already know how much I love filling out all the paperwork they send home the first week of school. But she hands me a certificate she got from the teacher. It's a apple with a worm coming out of it. It says Maggie has been a great friend. I ask her what happened today, why the teacher gave her this. She looks at me very puzzled. She looks like she's about to get tears in her eyes... I told her it was a good paper. I told her what it said. Her response then was Oh, this girl slapped me and called me stupid in the kitchen center. I asked what she did, she got defensive and NOTHING! Then I had to clarify that I wasn't asking what she did to make the girl mad, I wanted know what she did after the girl said that...She said "nothing, I just told the girl it wasn't nice to hit, and that we don't say that bad word" That's my girl!!!

Maggie is the youngest of 4- the next 2 oldest are both boys...She can throw punches with the best of them. I remember thinking when she was about 2 that I was going to be getting a call from the school on her first day of kindergarten.... "Mrs. G.... this is Dr Peterson. Could you please come to the principal's office, your kindergartener just beat up a fifth grader." So I was very relieved when Maggie said she didn't hit the little girl back. We've really been working on that the last year. There are times she will hit her brothers when she gets angry, but usually she's been egged on and pushed to her absolute limit. It's no excuse, but understandable. When you're so much younger and smaller than the others sometimes the only way you think you can get your point across is to beat it into them....LOL.

Well I'm off to heat up some smoked tenderloin...YUMMY! It's left over from a party that Pat put out on Sunday, but hey.... I'm not gonna complain. Beats the alfredo noodles that I made last night....

1 comment:

Reg said...

Oh wow I would have been bawling. I guess you have been through it before, and perhaps it gets a little easier. I don't know because I just have the one. I cried when he first went to daycare though! I felt like a bad mom leaving him there two days a week so I could go to meetings.